Thursday, July 3, 2008

14 million 分之 1

Hey gang,

I'm on the 63rd floor of DiWang tower in Shenzhen, working for Dezan Shira and Associates (www.dezshira.com). It's been a real crash course in Chinese, as I'm finding I have to speak it in the office. My colleagues seem pretty stoked for the Olympics. After I mentioned at lunch today that it's been getting ridiculous amounts of coverage in China (constant promo bumps on TV for the past 5 years, like literally every 20-minute segment), their response was "Yes, the whole world is excited. Weren't you Americans excited for the Olympics in Atlanta?" Um, yea...sure.

I get my daily dose of fun and aggression during my morning commute. I take the 85 bus from Hong Ling Lu (about 3 miles from my office), and watch every morning as it pulls up to my stop COMPLETELY jam packed. On Monday, my first day attempting this commute, I quickly realized that I was up against 10-15 other Chinese urban professionals and semi-skilled workers trying to get on and compete for standing room that did not exist. I had no choice but to eat or be eaten, a true story of survival. Luckily, I am five foot eleven and a half, white (an asset in terms of scare factor), and a complete asshole. I've made it to work on time every day.

If business brings you to Hong Kong, I'm about 40 minutes away, and could stand a night out in Lan Kwai Fong. Hit me up at +86 134 8093 0740.

~~Cree

No comments: