Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A Amazonia é nossa!

I start this post with this phrase (which means the Amazon is ours) because that's the overall feeling in Manaus right now. There have been many sustainable development initiatives for the Amazon forest in the last year and some involve the sale of forest land to foreigners who plan to conserve it and leave it untouched. Needless to say that the Manauaras are not so happy...many think they will wake up one day and be part of the E.U. =) It's very interesting to be at home again and be reminded that international opinion is at times so opposite of what the local people want, which usually will lead to no implementation.

Enough with that. So I am home, seeing friends and family and being in a permanent state of happiness for being here. The only bad part is that IRPS has managed to make be so stressed about not being stressed. I am constantly looking for more work and I am getting really frustrated with the bureaucracies of helping out with a field project. My first task was to be in touch with the national health foundation to get data on native Indian tribes in 9 municipalities of the Amazon. Well, the person in charge of the project is traveling and no one knows where she put the data and who is in charge of it now. People at the foundation probably hate me by now because I call every 2 or so hours looking for answers. So I have been getting busy with the write-ups of the project, doing some fun bibliographical reviews (bc I hadn't done those enough this past quarter!).

So I hope things get crazy busy very soon, otherwise I might just go insane. It seems that I need that old IRPS feeling again. People here just keep telling me "Pelo amor de D'us relaxa e espera!", which means for the love of G-d just relax and wait! I can't do that...

I hope you are all having a great summer and thanks so much for creating this blog Ben! 

Beijos!

1 comment:

deedee said...

I feel like I'm back at school I can't figure this stupid blog out. I'm not having as much trouble as Tamar relaxing. Today I took the day off because I was a bit tired of working everyday. It's nice to be your own boss for a while..I've been in Guatemala for a little over three weeks working on two economic development projects that we've got going with Beyond Poverty. I've been doing a lot of driving of the 20 year old pickup we were able to purchase recently for the bakery. I'm using it because no one in the bakery can drive. So I decided I needed to teach someone (not one of my best decisions). Antonio and I have been involved in a few too many precarious situations that we've had to be hauled out from by groups of Guatemalans that seen to emerge once they smell a crisis. Luckily for us they do and are always willing to pull your truck out of a ditch or up from a deadend road that you thought went through.. So the next few days I need to work on getting him some driving lessons at a real school. I've been breaking all kinds of US driving rules as now I'm across the border. ..I don' use seatbelt (not my choice as they don't work in the truck), I cram too many people in the back of the truck (again usually when I say only 4 that seems to translate into 8 plus a few small children), I zig zag across the road to avoid pot holes and do not have insurance. I've been on some many muddy, rocky, windy, steep, crappy roads my back is really killing me...Anyways It's good I returned to graduate school to study statistics, finance and other forms of intellectual torture we endured to prepare me for all of this..I'm glad to be finding out about Ben's blog if only now (I'll get over the hurt soon). I've enjoyed hearing about everyone's adventures and look forward to reading more. DeeDee